Use this article now to learn how to locate and replace the fuel filter on you Chevy Duramax pick-up truck from 2004, 2005, 2006,2007, 2008, 2009,2010, 2011.
Fuel filter has an important role in protecting you engine. The fuel filter stop all the foreign particles that can be found in the fuel. Some people use to fill the fuel filter with small quantity of fuel before installation, but I won’t recommend it. The main reason is the foreign particles even from that small quantity.
First thing to do is to buy the right fuel filter for your vehicle.
Locate the fuel filter
You can find and replace the fuel filter on your Chevy Duramax pick-up in 2 ways:
- from the top, under the hood
- from the bottom, by taking of the fender wall skirt on the passenger side
If is the first time you are doing a DYI replacement of the fuel filter, then I suggest to choose the second option: from the bottom.
Follow these simple steps:
- Take off the fender wall on your passenger side.
- There are some fasteners / clips and bolts that secure the fender wall skirt. Remove them.
- Now you can easily see the fuel filter.
Replace the fuel filter
- Disconnect the wire that goes from the water in fuel sensor.
- Remove the fuel filter and keep in mind that it will have fuel in it.
- Empty the fuel filter and take off WIF sensor. Make sure you wont break it. Use a set of channel locks to unscrew the sensor.
- Put some vaseline on the O-rings of the new filter. You can also use just a small amount of old fuel (just on the O-rings).
- Put the WIF sensor on the new filter and the new O-ring.
- Put other new O-ring on the top of the filter and screw it back tight using your hand. It doesn’t have to be too tight.
- Connect the wire of the WIF sensor.
- On the top of the filter you will see a small black screw. You can see it from the top, from under the hood. You have to take it out.
- There is a metal prime pump on top. Pump it until fuel is coming out of the screw hole. It is also called primer button.
- Put the screw back in. Be careful because is made of plastic.
- Start the pick-up truck and let it run some minutes.
- Check for leaks and if everything is OK, put the fender wall back on.
Please note that some features can differ from a car to another, but the main procedure is the same for replacing the fuel filter on your Chevrolet Duramax.