DIY, service the engine air filter on your Volvo XC90, in just a few minutes. This tutorial is suitable for models made between the years 2003 and 2012. You can do it without tools, following the steps below.
1. Where to find the air filter on your Volvo XC90 2003-2012:
You will locate the air filter inside an air box, on the driver’s side of the car, behind the headlight, as seen in the next photo;
2. How to easily service the air filter on Volvo XC90 2003-2012:
- Pop the hood of the car;
- Push off the three metal clips seen in the picture below, that secure the lid of the air box;
- Pry up and disconnect the mass airflow sensor seen in the next image;
- Lift the lid of the air box;
- Reach for the filter and remove it;
- Vacuum inside the box or clean with a wet rag (optional step);
- Install the new filter and make sure it is seated down correctly;
- Seal the filter with the lid of the box and its metal clips;
- Reconnect the mass air flow sensor.
Why do you have to service the engine air filter regularly? The air filter cleans and purifies the air that enters the engine. If any debris would escape into the engine of your car, that could damage it, resulting in very expensive repairs. A very old or worn out filter might not protect your engine as it should, so the best way to keep it safe is to replace the air filter at regular intervals.