How to change the engine oil filter on a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird?
The oil filter on a car will stop most of the impurities to get to your engine. You should replace the oil and engine oil filter according to your vehicle’s owner manual. Check the manual also for the right type of the oil you need to use. Most Ford vehicles have the oil type written also on the oil cap.
To replace the engine oil and engine oil filter you should follow these steps:
Locate the oil drain pan plug and remove the used oil
- Open the hood.
- Locate the oil drain plug underneath the car.
- Use an oil drain pan to collect all the used oil.
- Place the oil drain pan under the oil drain plug. Loosen the oil drain plug.
- Let all the oil to leak from the drain plug.
- After all the oil is out, wipe out the oil drain plug and put it back on the car.
Locate the oil filter and replace it
- The oil filter is located underneath the car, close to the oil drain pan.
- Place an oil drain pan under the filter.
- Remove the oil filter. You can use a belt to loosen it or an oil filter wrench.
- Some oil will drain from the filter. Drain all the oil from the filter into the drain pan.
- Wipe the location of the oil filter and check to see if the O-ring hasn’t slipped off.
- Add small amount of oil to the new oil filter.
- Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter and insert it back by tightening with your hand.
Locate the oil fill cap
- The oil fill cap is located under the hood.
- Remove the oil fill cap.
- Add new oil by using a funnel.
- Check your owner’s manual to see how much oil you need to add.
- Pour the oil slowly so you won’t add too much.
- Insert back the oil fill cap.
- Start the engine and let it run. Check the car for leakages.
- Stop the engine and let it rest. Check the oil dipstick to see if you need to add more oil.
Always use gloves or safety glasses to protect yourself. Also protect the environment by getting rid of the used material according to the law. Don’t throw the used oil, but take it to the special places that are in charge of collecting it.