How to change the cabin air filter on Nissan Maxima 6th Generation vehicles. The 4th generation (1995-1999) doesn’t have a cabin air filter and the 5th generation (2000-2003) has two cabin air filters in the same housing.
Locate the cabin air filter on your 6th generation of Nissan Maxima.
- The cabin air filter is located behind the glove box of your car. To get to it you have to remove the glove box.
Replace the cabin air filter on your 6th generation of Nissan Maxima.
- With the glove box closed, search with your hand under the glove box to find some clips.
- Remove these clips one by one.
- Open the glove box and pull it down to 45 degrees angle or push on the left and the right side of the glove box compartment to release the stops.
- Now the glove box is detached from the body of the vehicle, but it holds on to some wires. There is no need to remove them.
- After removing the glove box you can see cabin air filter housing cover.
- Unclip the cabin air filter tabs by using a small screwdriver.
- Remove the cabin air filter cover and you will see the old filter.
- Remove the old Nissan Maxima 6th Generation cabin air filter from the housing.
- Insert the new Nissan Maxima 6th Generation cabin air filter wit the air flow indicator pointing down for aftermarket filter or with the arrow pointing up for original Nissan part. Anyway the air flow is from top to bottom.
- Insert the cover of the filter back on and then arrange the glove box back in its place.
- Close the glove box.
- Locate under the glove box for the two small holes where the plastic pins where located.
- Insert the plastic pins back in their place to secure the glove box.
The recommended period to change the cabin air filter is 1 year or 15.000 miles, but this depends on the region where you are living. If you live in a place with lot of dust or trees you should consider changing the cabin air filter more often for your own comfort and health.