Do it yourself, change the air filter on your Toyota Camry. This tutorial shows you how to service this filter on Camry models produced in the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
Changing the air filter on this car is a simple task, that can be done in less than 10 minutes, using a 10 mm socket wrench, or a socket with a ratchet.
1. Locate the air filter:
- The engine air filter on this car is located in an air box, on the driver’s side of the vehicle, behind the battery, as you can see in the picture below.2. Replace the air filter:
- Open and secure the hood of your car;
- Remove two 10 mm bolts that hold the lid of the air box, where the air filter is located, using an appropriate wrench or socket. We marked their position with red arrows in the image below;
- Lift the lid of the air box and pull out the old air filter;
- Clean the air box for dust and debris, using a vacuum or other methods;
- Install the new engine air filter;
- Make sure you join the hinges of the air box first, at the back, in order to seal the filter and prevent air loss (see next picture);
- Secure the lid of the air box with the two 10 mm bolts.
Why is it necessary to service the air filter? This filter’s job is to clean the air that enters your car’s engine. If you leave the air filter to accumulate dirt, your engine will work harder and attempting to pull air through the restricted filter can create a vacuum effect making possible for particles to get sucked through. This can damage internal components, resulting in expensive repairs. So, replace this filter regularly, to avoid all these problems.