Do it yourself, change the engine air filter on your Saturn Ion. The procedure is similar for Ion models equipped with the 2.2L engine, produced in the years 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007. The replacement process is very simple and can be done in less than 5 minutes, without any tools. You will only require a new filter.
1. Engine air filter location on Saturn Ion 2003-2007:
- The air filter on this car is located inside the air box on the passenger’s side of the car, behind the headlight, as seen in the next image.2. How to change the air filter on your Saturn Ion 2003-2007:
- Open the hood;
- Go above the air box and remove the three metal clips that hold its lid, as you can see in the image below;
- Lift the lid of the air box to gain access to the air filter;
- Remove the old filter (see images below);
- Vacuum the air box or use a wet rag to clean the dust, sand or other debris inside;
- Install a new engine air filter as the old one was;
- Put back the lid of the air box, making sure you position it into the tabs on the exterior side of the car, first;
- Secure the lid with the three metal clips.
Why is necessary to replace the engine air filter ? The engine air filter on your car has the role to clean the air that enters the engine and mixes with the fuel. If you don’t replace this filter at regular intervals and it gets clogged, it won’t stop the dust and debris anymore, causing damage to your engine. So, make sure you service this filter and save yourself of unwanted expensive repairs.