DIY, change the engine air filter on your Chevy Malibu, following the steps below. The replacement procedure we show you below is similar on Malibu models produced between the years 1997 and 2003.
This is a simple replacement, that can be done by anyone in a couple of minutes. You will require a large flat blade screwdriver and a new filter.
1. Air filter location on Chevy Malibu 1997-2003:
- You will locate the air filter on your Malibu in an air box, on the driver’s side of the engine compartment, behind the battery, as you can see in the next image.2. How to change the air filter on your Chevy Malibu:
- Open and secure the hood of your car;
- Use a large flat blade screwdriver to remove the two screws that hold the lid of the air box where the filter is located, shown in the picture below;
- Lift the lid of the air box and pull out the old engine air filter, as you can see below;
- Clean the air box for dirt and debris, to make sure the new filter is installed in a clean environment;
- Insert the new air filter into the box;
- Cover the filter with the lid;
- Secure the lid with the two screws.
Why is necessary to replace the air filter on your car? The role of the air filter is to clean the air entering the engine and to assure that no debris get past it, into the engine. If you don’t replace this filter regularly, it might get clogged and it won’t accomplish that role, causing a lot of damage to your engine, resulting in very expensive repairs.