How to change 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma fuel filter. Replacing the fuel filter is one of the easy maintenance tasks that you can do it at home by yourself.
Please be aware that the location of the fuel filter depends on the engine type.
- On a Toyota Tacoma from 2003 with 2.4 l engine the fuel filter is located under the intake manifold and above the starter. The same happen to some Tacoma from 1998.
- On some Toyota Tacoma the fuel filter is located under the car.
- On Toyota Tacoma with 6 cylinders the fuel filter could be under the driver seat, bolted to the frame.
- On Toyota Tacoma with 4 cylinders type the fuel filter is located usually under the intake manifold.
- The Toyota Tacoma 2nd generation may have the fuel filter inside the gas tank.
Remove the fuse of the fuel pump before starting the replacement of the fuel filter.
Make sure to release the fuel pressure before removing the fuel filter.
Locate the fuel pump relay fuse and remove it and after tgat start the engine. It will die shortly after starting it with the fuel pump relay fuse removed. Repeat it.
After locating the fuel filter you should raise your car in a safe mode so that you can slip below.
- Loosen the bolt that holds the bracket of the filter.
- Disconnect fuel lines at both ends of the filter and be careful not to break the lines by twisting them. Be aware on the possible leakages of fuel.
- Remove the old fuel filter and remember the way is installed so that you can install the new one in the same way. Make sure that your new filter looks the same as the old fuel filter.
- Install the new fuel filter, attach the pipes and secure the bolt back on.
- Install the fuel pump relay.
- Start the engine and look for possible leakages. It may start hard at first until pressure has been restored to the fuel rail.
This tutorial is for 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Toyota Tacoma. We are not responsible for any damage caused by intervention on the car after reading this tutorial. We recommend that all interventions to be made in an authorized service.