This is how you can change the oil filter on your Hyundai Elantra. We show you below how to service this filter on the model equipped with the 2.0L engine, made between the years 2001 and 2006. You should replace this filter regularly, every time you change the oil or according to your vehicle’s owner manual.
To service the oil filter on your Elantra, you will require a new filter and an oil filter wrench. The whole process will be easier if you follow the steps below:
Locate the oil filter on Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006:
- This filter is located beneath the car, in front of the oil pan, as you can see in the picture below.Replace the oil filter on Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006:
- In order to access the filter easier we recommend you to lift the car on a jack stand or an elevator;
- Remove the drain plug bolt on the oil pan, using an appropriate wrench (17 mm);
- Empty the oil in a drain pan;
- Tighten back the drain plug bolt;
- Use an adjustable oil filter wrench and remove the filter by twisting it counterclockwise (as you can see below);
- Clean the place where the filter screws with a rag, for any debris;
- Use some of the old oil to coat the gasket of the new filter before installing it;
- Install the new oil filter by twisting it clockwise;
- Fill the oil pan with the right type and with the right amount of oil.
How often and why should you change the oil filter on your car? The oil filter is an important part of your engine’s functionality. It keeps away grime from the oil, to enter the engine when it circulates and lubricates its parts. Because this filter is relatively inexpensive, most people recommend its replacement with every oil change, as a preventative measure.