DIY, remove and change the air filter on your Toyota Corolla. We show you next how to service the engine air filter on Corolla models produced between the years 1998 and 2002. The procedure is very simple and can be done in a couple of minutes.
There are no tools required, to make this particular replacement. You will only require a new air filter from your local auto parts store.
1. How to locate the air filter on your Toyota Corolla 1998-2002:
- The filter on this car is located in an air box, on the driver’s side, behind the battery, as you can see in the picture below.2. How to service the air filter on Toyota Corolla 1998-2002:
- Open the hood of your car;
- Remove the two metal tabs seen in the next image, that secure the lid of the air filter box (the position of the two tabs is marked with red arrows);
- Lift the lid of the air box and pull out the old air engine filter, as you can see below;
- Use a wet rag, a vacuum cleaner or some other tool to clean the bottom of the air box for dust and debris;
- Install the new air filter into its place;
- Align the lid of the box properly on top of the filter, making sure the hinges behind (see next image) are also aligned correctly; This will seal the filter and prevent air loss;
- Secure the lid with the two metal tabs.
Why is necessary to service the air filter? The air filter has the role to clean and purify the air entering your engine. It is so, very important to have a clean filter installed, because any dust or debris entering the engine can cause serious damage, resulting in expensive and unwanted repairs.