Do it yourself, change the air filter on your Oldsmobile Alero. The replacement procedure below is similar for models manufactured in the years 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004, equipped with the 2.4L engine.
Replacing this filter is an easy task and you can do it with a flat blade screwdriver or a Phillips screwdriver, in less than 10 minutes.
1. Air filter location on Oldsmobile Alero 1999-2004:
- The air filter on your Alero is secured in an air box, on the driver’s side, behind the battery, as you can see in the image below;2. How to change the air filter on Oldsmobile Alero 1999-2004:
- Open the hood of the car;
- Use a flat blade screwdriver (or a Phillips screwdriver) to loosen the four screws that secure the lid of the air box, where the filter is located (see details in the pictures below);
- Lift the lid of the air box and reach inside for the filter, as you can see next;
- Remove the old air filter;
- Clean the bottom side of the air box for accumulated dust and other debris;
- Install the new filter (make sure you use a compatible one);
- Place back the lid of the air box and seal the filter inside;
- Tighten the screws around the lid.
Why is necessary to replace the engine air filter regularly? This filter is used to clean the air that enters the engine for dust and debris that the intake might collect. If any debris would escape into the engine of your car, that could damage it, resulting in very expensive repairs for you. The best way to keep your engine safe and running in normal condition is to service the air filter regularly.