Do it yourself, change the air filter on your Mercury Sable, the model equipped with the 3.0L V6 engine. The replacement process we show you will be similar for models made between the years 2000 and 2005.
The air filter on this car can be replaced very simply, in no more than a couple of minutes and without any tools.
1. Where is located the air filter on Mercury Sable 2000-2005 3.0L V6:
- The air filter is located in an air box, on the driver’s side of the car, behind the battery, as seen in the image below.2. How to change the air filter on Mercury Sable 2000-2005 3.0L V6:
- Open and secure the hood of your car;
- Lift and open by hand the two metal clamps that seal tight the two parts of the air box;
- Pull up and lift the upper part of the air box (the one with the intake hose), to get access to the air filter;
- Remove the old filter from the bottom side of the air box, as seen in the picture below;
- Vacuum or simply clean by hand the bottom side of the air box for debris;
- Install the new filter as the old one was;
- Close the air box, but make sure the two tabs at the bottom of the side with the intake hose are aligned and will enter the slots on the side containing the filter;
- Secure the air box with the two metal clamps.
Why do you need to replace the air filter on your car? The air filter’s purpose is to clean the air that enters into the engine of your car, by stopping any dirt particles and impurities from outside. Any debris that pass this filter can cause severe damage to the engine, resulting in very expensive repairs. This can happen if you have an old and clogged air filter, so make sure you service it regularly, to avoid this type of problems.